REVIEW: Something Real by Heather Demetrios

Friday, July 4, 2014
Something Real by Heather Demetrios
Published by: Henry Holt BYR on February 4th, 2014
Series: No
Pages: 403
Format: Hardcover
Genre: Contemporary, Realistic Fiction
Source: Won
Rating: 4/5
BUY THE BOOK or ADD IT TO GOODREADS!!

FROM GOODREADS: Seventeen-year-old Bonnie Baker has grown up on TV- she and her twelve siblings are the stars of one-time hit reality show Baker's Dozen. Since the show's cancellation, Bonnie has tried to live a normal life, under the radar and out of the spotlight. But it's about to fall apart... because Baker's Dozen is going back on the air. Bonnie's mom and the show's producers won't let her quit and soon the life that she has so carefully built for herself, with real friends (and maybe even a real boyfriend), is in danger of being destroyed by the show. Bonnie needs to do something drastic if her life is ever going to be her own- even if it means being more exposed than ever before.

MY THOUGHTS:

Dear Something Real,

I picked you up for my first TBR Thursday pick, because I've had you since the day you released, but somehow you got pushed to the bottom of my pile. It's possible that the reason is that I wasn't that big of a contemporary reader a few months ago. Now I eat all the contemporaries up like they are ice cream. You were no different. I immediately drew into Bonnie's world, much like the audience who watches Bonnie's show, Baker's Dozen.

One thing's, for sure, I wasn't expecting you to have some darker situations within your pages. I was under the impression that you were a light summer read. Don't get me wrong, it didn't make me love you any less. In fact, it probably made me enjoy you a tiny bit more than I would've if you were a lighter read.

You really reminded me of Cheaper by the Dozen. Of course, they didn't have a tv show, but the fact that there were so many siblings is what made me make that association. The only thing I wish I would've been able to see a bit more of would've been the other siblings. I only got glimpses of what they were actually like, except for the older twins, Benton and Lexie. Did I mention how much I love Benton?! Well, I did. A lot. I loved his character, and his secret relationship with Matt. Then, there's Patrick. Oh, I really felt the swoons for Patrick. Le sigh.

I couldn't imagine having my life broadcasted without my permission all over the country on t.v.- let alone, the few times it was actually live! I felt really bad for Benny and Bonnie. I didn't blame them for the extremes they took to get a little relief from the stress. I would've probably done the same.

All in all, Something Real, you were, in fact, one of the realest reads I've ever read. The characters were amazingly developed, and the cute little dates between Patrick and Bonnie won my heart. I'll be looking forward to your author's next releases, and counting down the days! FOUR HEARTS! :)

Love always, 

Becca


Have you read Something Real?
What did you think?
Let's discuss!
post signature

4 comments:

  1. Hmmm, this one sounds like the kind of contemporary I'd probably like! Thanks for the great review, Becca!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've wanted to read this since I saw the hype for it when it first came out, but I never really saw any feedback, so that's awesome to see that you liked it!

    Cassie @ Happy Book Lovers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never did either! I won a copy but it got pushed to the bottom of my pile, because I didn't see many reviews. But I'm glad I finally picked it up, because it was a fantastic read!

      Delete

Copyright © 2014 Pivot Book Reviews
Template and Design by New Chapter Designs