The Taking by Kimberly Derting - Review

Friday, May 16, 2014
The Taking by Kimberly Derting
Published by: Harper Teen on April 29th, 2014
Series: The Taking #1
Pages: 368
Format: Hardcover
Genre: Science Fiction
Source: Purchased
Rating: 3/5
Buy the Book  or  Add it to Goodreads!

FROM GOODREADS: A flash of white light... and then... nothing.

When sixteen-year-old Kyra Agnew wakes up behind a dumpster at the Gas 'n' Sip, she has no memory of how she got there. With a terrible headache and a major case of déjà vu, she heads home only to discover that five years have passed... yet she hasn't aged a day.

Everything else about Kyra's old life is different. Her parents are divorced, her boyfriend, Austin, is in college and dating her best friend, and her dad has changed from an uptight neat-freak to a drunken conspiracy theorist who blames her five-year disappearance on little green men.

Confused and lost, Kyra isn't sure how to move forward unless she uncovers the truth. With Austin gone, she turns to Tyler, Austin's annoying kid brother, who is now seventeen and who she has a sudden undeniable attraction to. As Tyler and Kyra retrace her steps from the fateful night of her disappearance, they discover strange phenomena that no one can explain, and they begin to wonder if Kyra's father is not as crazy as he seems. There are others like her who have been taken... and returned. Kyra races to find an explanation and reclaim the life she once had, but what if the life she wants back is not her own?

MY THOUGHTS:

Dear The Taking, 

You were a hard one for me to get into. You made me chase after you, and I was nearly about to give up one you when BAM! A huge twist came, and you just sucked me right in. Granted it took about halfway through you to get to that point, but you redeemed yourself in my opinion, because after that, I couldn't get enough of you. You were addicting, and hard to pull away from.

Kyra sorta got on my nerves near the beginning. I understand she's upset and all, but sometimes the way she acted was just a little too annoying and over the top. I wish we could've gotten a little more taste of what her relationships were like before she was taken. As for the boy? Tyler? Yeah, Kimberly Derting knows how to get inside my heart, and apparently, Kyra's too. *fans self* He's officially added to my Fictional Boyfriend list. 

Oh, The Taking, you were a book full of ups and downs for me, but you really set yourself up for quite the series, especially after that killer ending. I am dying to get my hands on the next installment, because I need to know all the answers to everything and more, more, more Tyler. All in all, after I got into you and your style, you were quite the read, and I'm glad I decided to keep on keepin' on, because you ended up being worth it, which is why I give you three hearts.

Love always, 

Becca

Was this review helpful?
Have you read The Taking?
Let me know in the comments!

As always, thanks for visiting Pivot Book Reviews! <3
post signature

6 comments:

  1. I really liked the storyline in this one, but the romance bugged me. I mean...Tyler was definitely swoony, but she just went from being TOTALLY COMPLETELY IN LOVE with his brother, to TOTALLY COMPLETELY IN LOVE with him in, like, a week. It was just too fast for me. BUT, I still really liked it, and I'll probably read the next book. I really liked your review, you made me laugh. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that I think about it, I agree with you, Andye. I think maybe the reason it didn't bug me as much was because I read this over like two weeks so it didn't happen as fast for me. But looking back, she fell for Tyler in like a matter of days, which is weird. BUT HE'S SO SWOONY. Haha, that might be another reason why it didn't bug me as much. But maybe it subconciously bugged me, and that's the reason I wasn't busting my butt to read it quickly. Thanks girly! I try to make them a little fun. At least someone thinks I'm funny! :D

      Delete
  2. YAY for the book ending up being worth the read, Becca!
    Thank you for the warning about the slow first half, so I'll know to keep reading even if it doesn't seem to work well enough at first!
    Great review, Becca!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I mean, it's a killer cliffhanger, which is probably why I ended up changing my rating for it after finishing. The second half is just full of so much more action than the first half. I'm curious to see what you think of it, Pili! Thank you! :)

      Delete
  3. Oh man, another book for me to pine for... Lol, great review, this book sounds so amazing! Btw, like the new silver background, looks lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, I think you're the first to say something about the new background! Awesome. I really like it too! Haha I'm always finding new books to pine for.... it's a never-ending thing, right? :)

      Delete

Copyright © 2014 Pivot Book Reviews
Template and Design by New Chapter Designs