The Break-Up Artist by Philip Siegel - Review

Tuesday, May 13, 2014
The Break-Up Artist by Philip Siegel
Published by: Harlequin Teen on April 29th, 2014
Pages: 336
Format: Hardcover
Genre: Contemporary
Source: Purchased
Rating: 1/5
Buy the Book  or  Add it to Goodreads!
FROM GOODREADS: Some sixteen-year-olds babysit for extra cash. Some work at the Gap. Becca Williamson breaks up couples.

After watching her sister get left at the alter, Becca knows the true damage that comes when people utter the dreaded L-word. For just $100 via paypal, she can trick and manipulate any couple to simithereens. With relationship zombies overrunning her school, and treating single girls like second class citizens, business is unfortunately booming. Even her best friend Val has resorted to outright lies to snag a boyfriend.

One night, she receives a mysterious offer to break up the homecoming king and queen, the one zombie couple to rule them all: Steve and Huxley. They are a JFK and Jackie O in training, masters of sweeping faux-mantic gestures, but if Becca can split them up, then school will be safe again for singletons. To succeed, she'll have to plan her most elaborate scheme to date and wiggle her way back into her former BFF Huxley's life- not to mention start a few rumors, sabotage some cell phones, break into a car, and fend off the inappropriate feelings she's having about Val's new boyfriend. All while avoiding a past victim out to expose her true identity.

No one said being the Break-Up Artist was easy.

MY THOUGHTS:

Dear The Break-Up Artist,

I was pretty excited about reading you, but that excitement dissipated very quickly once I started. You just weren't the contemporary for me unfortunately.

Not many MC are named Becca (spelled like mine), which is what first captured my attention, and then this Break-Up Artist gig? That sounds awesome. I think the different schemes that Becca planned and went through to break up couples were so genius, and probably the only reason I didn't put you down for good-without finishing. 

I did not think that the boy in this book was swoony, whatsoever. I just couldn't see what Becca and her best friend saw in him, and it really ticked me off that Becca didn't even second guess (too much) about going behind her best friends back to be with said best friends boyfriend!!! The other thing that annoyed me to no end was Huxley. She was so catty and hateful, and everyone followed her around like lost puppy dogs. And, this is probably just me, but I hated and gritted my teeth every single time Huxley called Becca, 'Rebecca.' Yeah, Rebecca is my real name, but I really hate when people call me that, because I think it makes me sound like an old lady or that I'm about to get my butt in trouble.

All in all, you were a decent read, but just weren't very interesting to me, except for all the scheming. More than anything, Break-Up Artist, you frustrated me...a lot, and for that reason, I give you one heart. 

Not much love, 

Becca

Was this review helpful?
Have you read The Break-Up Artist?
Let me know in the comments!

As always, thanks for visiting Pivot Book Reviews! <3
post signature

6 comments:

  1. I wasn't really interested in this book before, but after reading your review, I'm even more glad that I didn't even bother trying!
    Great & honest review, Becca!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wasn't either, but it had a BECCA as the main character! I thought that was cool, so that may have been why I was so pulled toward it. But I had to push myself to read it. I really should have just DNF, but I just couldn't do it. One of these days, I'll be able to force myself to DNF. One of these days...

      Delete
  2. Oh I kinda wanted to give this one a shot (there is something in the cover that just draws me in)... not so sure anymore...
    Thanks for the honest review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! The cover was just so cool and original, but it just didn't satisfy me at all. Looking back, I probably should have just DNF it, because I seriously had to force myself to finish it. :/ Thanks Cayce. Also, awesome name! I've never seen it spelled that way! Me likey! :D

      Delete
  3. Oh sad! I have this ARC but haven't gotten to it yet. Not so excited to read it now!
    Missie @ A Flurry of Ponderings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. I was excited about the concept. It just seemed so original, but it, sadly, was just lacking to me.... I'm curious to see what you'll think of it when you get around to it, Missie!

      Delete

Copyright © 2014 Pivot Book Reviews
Template and Design by New Chapter Designs